RoofTop Tents (1 Viewer)

Rickboy

Nom Nom Nom Nom.. me hungry for a SuperBowl
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I’ve been shopping around for a Rooftop tent to put over the bed of my pickup. I’ve got property in the mountains that I’m going to camp on. I also tend to go out on some of the rougher trails in Colorado and I want to camp out there as well. I’ve even had my son and his dog camping in the back yard to get them used to sleeping outside.

I was trying to get an iKamper X-Cover but the backlog for buying those is so long I’ll have to wait until next summer to use it. Does anyone else have a rooftop tent recommendation? I need something big enough for the three of us (or larger) and it needs to go over a 5.5‘ truck bed for an F150. It’s fine if it sticks out a bit past the tailgate.

Coincidentally, an iKamper X-Cover showed up on Craigslist yesterday and I pounced on it. I got it for $1000 under the retail price and the previous owners only used it a few times. Now I'm waiting on the bed rack I just ordered and I can install this bad boy.

• 1Like
Reactions: MLU
Allegedly, in a straight line, surprisingly well. Also, cruising at 90 is allegedly no different than cruising at 65.

I also drive mountain roads a lot and in sport mode it handles the curve quite well.

I finally got a KB Voodoo Max Modular bed rack and iKamper installed on the Raptor this week. We're heading out camping on Saturday.

As you can see, the rear sags when the tent is open and my wife is up there. However it doesn't appear to sag at all when the tent is closed up. Still, I'm probably going to add a new leaf spring.

When I initially tried to install it, I used iKampers Gen 2.0 mounting brackets. Those wouldn't work with the Max Modular's thick crossbars so I had to buy the original 1.0 brackets. Those worked just fine. The iKamper is VERY nice. Surprisingly so. It's be enough for me and my wife to keep a small dog kennel for her Westie. I think there will be some fun times in our future.. ;)

50120562597_7dbab1901b_b.jpg

50120340611_4a526ef1ff_b.jpg

50120340581_9853e41062_b.jpg

50119772883_8ca93eecae_b.jpg

That's awesome, bro. I'm thinking about buying a small trailer and mounting a RTT on it. Then I'll build out a small kitchen and have some space to store gear and maybe a small water tank.

That's awesome, bro. I'm thinking about buying a small trailer and mounting a RTT on it. Then I'll build out a small kitchen and have some space to store gear and maybe a small water tank.
I've been looking at this one. I'm pretty limited with my weight since I've got a 2 door Wrangler. You can also just buy the trailer and then rig it out yourself.

This is another small not too expensive mobile camp with plenty of options.

This one is very futuristic, but not a whole lot of room for adding things. The chicken feather version isn't too bad, but the full carbon fiber is crazy $$$. Still at 10K pretty expensive for what is essentially a mobile tent.

I’ve always wanted to put a camper shell on my truck and then put a mattress in it and go camping in it. Hahahahaha.

I’ve always wanted to put a camper shell on my truck and then put a mattress in it and go camping in it. Hahahahaha.

Maybe not for everyone, but then not everyone gets the view I had last weekend.
50191167253_d6a6247974_b.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom