Remaining OL ranked by Zone Grade (1 Viewer)

joe87

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I went ahead and compiled all PFF Zone Blocking Grades for the remaining OL to get an idea of who the Saints may lean towards in specific rounds. Fuaga's Zone Grade was a 91.3, which I think was the highest in the Draft Class, so let's see if the trend continues. Also, I'm sure that half of these listed OT's project out as OG.

OT
Projected RoundNameCollegeZone Grade
5th/6thJavon FosterMissouri
91​
2ndKiran AmegadjieYale
87.8​
UDFAJosiah EzirimEastern Kentucky
86.5​
4th-5thChristian JonesFSU
82.6​
4th/5thIsaiah AdamsIllinois
82.5​
7thJalen SundellND State
77.9​
7thFrank CrumWyoming
72.5​
3rdBlake FisherNotre Dame
72​
7thNathan ThomasULL
71.1​
2ndPatrick PaulHouston
70.3​
2ndKingsley SuamataiaBYU
69.6​
6th-7thSataoa LaumeaUtah
69.5​
5thCaedan WallacePenn State
69.1​
4thDominick PuniKansas
68.9​
5th-6thKT LevestonKansas State
66.8​
UDFATrente JonesMichigan
66.1​
6th-7thEthan DriskellMarshall
63.5​
5th-6thWalter RouseOklahoma
63.1​
UDFAAnim DankwahHoward
62.4​
3rdRoger RosengartenWashington
61​
7thDonovan JenningsUSF
58.2​
7thDelmar GlazeMaryland
57.9​
UDFAKarsen BarnhartMichigan
57.2​
4thMatt GoncalvesPittsburgth
55.1​
3rdBrandon ColemanTCU
52​
UDFAAndrew CokeTCU
50.3​

OG
RankNameCollegeZone Grade
3rdMason McCormickSD State
94.7​
2ndChristian HaynesUconn
89.2​
3rdCooper BeebeKansas State
81.2​
7th-UDFALayden RobinsonTexas A&M
74.2​
5thZak ZinterMichigan
72.9​
UDFAX'Zauvea GadlinLiberty
72.1​
3rd-4thChristian MahoganyBoston College
67.3​
4thTrevor KeeganMichigan
60.1​
6thJavion CohenMiami (FL)
59.1​
UDFACJ HansonHoly Cross
56.8​

C
2ndJackson Powers-JohnsonOregon
83.8​
4thHunter NourzadPenn State
79.2​
3rd-4thSedrick Van PranGeorgia
75.4​
UDFAMatt LeeMiami (FL)
74.6​
UDFAKingsley EquakunFlorida
73.7​
5th-6thBeaux LimmerArkansas
72.4​
7th-UDFADylan McMahonNC State
71.5​
UDFADrake NugentMichigan
70.1​
2ndZach FrazierWest Virginia
69.6​
UDFACharles TurnerLSU
68.5​
UDFAAndrew RaymOklahoma
59.2​
4thTanor BortoliniWisconsin
56.4​
UDFANick GargiuloSouth Carolina
55.7​

Thank you for taking the time to put this together.
I do hope we continue to build the offensive line.
I don't see the point in addressing it half-arsed. It was far and away the reason our team was unsuccessful.
Just finish the job and move on to the next issue.

This is really interesting. I’m not normally a PFF guy, but this is something specific that makes a ton of sense.

Thank you!

I'll take Hunter Nourzad with a trade up of two fifths.

Josiah Ezirim is a very intriguing prospect, I don't think he goes undrafted. His high zone grade comes from his prototypical size paired with surprising quickness, nimbleness, and athleticism. He's VERY raw. Played at a small school against inferior competition, and lacks proper technique. He started out as a Defensive lineman, but switched to Oline 2 years ago and has played very well, despite poor technique. He is the kinda prospect that could get drafted late or signed as a UDFA and after a few years of development could turn into a phenomenal starter.

Josiah Ezirim is a very intriguing prospect, I don't think he goes undrafted. His high zone grade comes from his prototypical size paired with surprising quickness, nimbleness, and athleticism. He's VERY raw. Played at a small school against inferior competition, and lacks proper technique. He started out as a Defensive lineman, but switched to Oline 2 years ago and has played very well, despite poor technique. He is the kinda prospect that could get drafted late or signed as a UDFA and after a few years of development could turn into a phenomenal starter.
That sounds exactly like a Saint's pick.

Krum is interesting, best 40 of all the OT's. Could be a late option for depth.
Just out of curiosity. What's the big deal with a 40 for a olineman. How many run down the field? I want more of their time for 10 yards for pulling and cone drills. I've never been a big fan of a 315 pound guy running a 5 flat 40. I know it's athleticism, but 40s are a waste for a big guy in my opinion.

Just out of curiosity. What's the big deal with a 40 for a olineman. How many run down the field? I want more of their time for 10 yards for pulling and cone drills. I've never been a big fan of a 315 pound guy running a 5 flat 40. I know it's athleticism, but 40s are a waste for a big guy in my opinion.
Down field blocking on screens and pulls. I can find multiple clips of McCoy and Armstead blocking 20-30 yards downfield for Alvin.

Idk. When I went and looked at the 2021 Vikings (the year KK was OC and still running his father scheme) I looked up all their Olineman.....all ran under a 5.0 40 yard dash. Every single one of them. When I looked at the 49ers Oline, I didn't do individual work on them but I did check Trent Williams who also ran under a 5.0 40. Now likely, it has more to do with the 10 yard split than the full distance, but the scheme obviously prefers guys who can get to their spots quickly and the 40 yard or 10 seems to correlate with their ability to do so.

Idk. When I went and looked at the 2021 Vikings (the year KK was OC and still running his father scheme) I looked up all their Olineman.....all ran under a 5.0 40 yard dash. Every single one of them. When I looked at the 49ers Oline, I didn't do individual work on them but I did check Trent Williams who also ran under a 5.0 40. Now likely, it has more to do with the 10 yard split than the full distance, but the scheme obviously prefers guys who can get to their spots quickly and the 40 yard or 10 seems to correlate with their ability to do so.
I'd think the 3 Cone drill would be more useful for OL than straight line speed. I do remember all those old Broncos teams having smaller, more athletic types on their OL's. I don't believe they spent a lot of higher round picks on them because they didn't need the physically imposing players that go in the 1st/2nd rounds.

I went ahead and compiled all PFF Zone Blocking Grades for the remaining OL to get an idea of who the Saints may lean towards in specific rounds. Fuaga's Zone Grade was a 91.3, which I think was the highest in the Draft Class, so let's see if the trend continues. Also, I'm sure that half of these listed OT's project out as OG.

OT
Projected RoundNameCollegeZone Grade
5th/6thJavon FosterMissouri
91​
2ndKiran AmegadjieYale
87.8​
UDFAJosiah EzirimEastern Kentucky
86.5​
4th-5thChristian JonesFSU
82.6​
4th/5thIsaiah AdamsIllinois
82.5​
7thJalen SundellND State
77.9​
7thFrank CrumWyoming
72.5​
3rdBlake FisherNotre Dame
72​
7thNathan ThomasULL
71.1​
2ndPatrick PaulHouston
70.3​
2ndKingsley SuamataiaBYU
69.6​
6th-7thSataoa LaumeaUtah
69.5​
5thCaedan WallacePenn State
69.1​
4thDominick PuniKansas
68.9​
5th-6thKT LevestonKansas State
66.8​
UDFATrente JonesMichigan
66.1​
6th-7thEthan DriskellMarshall
63.5​
5th-6thWalter RouseOklahoma
63.1​
UDFAAnim DankwahHoward
62.4​
3rdRoger RosengartenWashington
61​
7thDonovan JenningsUSF
58.2​
7thDelmar GlazeMaryland
57.9​
UDFAKarsen BarnhartMichigan
57.2​
4thMatt GoncalvesPittsburgth
55.1​
3rdBrandon ColemanTCU
52​
UDFAAndrew CokeTCU
50.3​

OG
3rdMason McCormickSD State
94.7​
2ndChristian HaynesUconn
89.2​
3rdCooper BeebeKansas State
81.2​
7th-UDFALayden RobinsonTexas A&M
74.2​
5thZak ZinterMichigan
72.9​
UDFAX'Zauvea GadlinLiberty
72.1​
3rd-4thChristian MahoganyBoston College
67.3​
4thTrevor KeeganMichigan
60.1​
6thJavion CohenMiami (FL)
59.1​
UDFACJ HansonHoly Cross
56.8​

C
2ndJackson Powers-JohnsonOregon
83.8​
4thHunter NourzadPenn State
79.2​
3rd-4thSedrick Van PranGeorgia
75.4​
UDFAMatt LeeMiami (FL)
74.6​
UDFAKingsley EquakunFlorida
73.7​
5th-6thBeaux LimmerArkansas
72.4​
7th-UDFADylan McMahonNC State
71.5​
UDFADrake NugentMichigan
70.1​
2ndZach FrazierWest Virginia
69.6​
UDFACharles TurnerLSU
68.5​
UDFAAndrew RaymOklahoma
59.2​
4thTanor BortoliniWisconsin
56.4​
UDFANick GargiuloSouth Carolina
55.7​

The saints need a Guard now more than another Tackle, but they probably draft one of each going forward. To me, these are the players the Saints are targeting at Guard:

Mason McCormick RAS 9.96 (Guard, 89.2 Zone Blocking)

"McCormick’s explosiveness numbers were above the 99th percentile, and overall, his numbers earned him a Relative Athletic Score (RAS) of 9.96 — good for seventh-best all-time out of over 1,500 guard prospects in recorded history."

Christian Haynes RAS 9.11 (Guard, 97.4 Zone Blocking)

According to the Relative Athletic Score created by Kent Lee Platte, Haynes scored 9.11 out of 10.00, which ranks him 130th out of 1445 offensive guards from 1987 to 2024.

Right...which was interesting for the Vikings because most of those guys were 1st and 2nd round picks. I think all but one of their starters in 2021 came from 1st two rounds. That's why I keep harping that Bowers likely would have been the pick because they tend to prefer skill position players over olineman due to the scheme making them look better as a unit vs needing individual stars. However, having a good invidual player can only help.

I'd think the 3 Cone drill would be more useful for OL than straight line speed. I do remember all those old Broncos teams having smaller, more athletic types on their OL's. I don't believe they spent a lot of higher round picks on them because they didn't need the physically imposing players that go in the 1st/2nd rounds.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom