Pretentious Baby Names (1 Viewer)

Lyrics. Afternoon. Orca. Alchemy.

No, these aren’t the names of some hippy pop-up café in Brooklyn, or brands for feminine hygiene products.

Instead, they’re the real monikers that influencers are giving to their children – and the internet has a lot of thoughts about it.

On social media platforms like TikTok and Instagram, where influencers share carefully curated glimpses of their family lives, a new favourite hobby has emerged: unpacking, celebrating, and oftentimes critiquing the unusual names influencers give their babies.

Last week, Too Hot To Handle star and internet personality Francesca Farago revealed to fans the potential names that she and her fiancé, Jesse Sullivan, have picked for their soon-to-be baby.

“I have been waiting to do the ‘baby names I love but won’t be using trend’ for two years now,” Farago said in a TikTok video with over 14m views. “So I wanted to make a video and talk about baby names I love. You guys can know my naming style and maybe someone will give a suggestion and that’ll be our new top favourite name.”

The names that followed, however, weren’t your average Jacks, Ashleys, Olivias, or Liams. They were nouns and adjectives ending in “-y” like Lovely and Baby, the 12 months of the year (full name “November,” nickname “Novi”), and days of the week like Sunday and Monday – though those were deemed a little bit too popular for Farago’s taste…….

“For reference, our kids have pretty unique names. My daughter’s name is Rumble Honey Smith and my son’s name is Slim Easy Smith,” Nara said back in December. In April, when they welcomed their third child, a girl, the parents opted for the name Whimsy Lou.

Were names always this bizarre? Surely, unique monikers have always existed. How can we forget the uproar over Gwyneth Paltrow and Chris Martin naming their daughter Apple, or the names of Elon Musk and Grimes’ three children – X Æ A-12, Exa Dark Sideræl, and Techno Mechanicus?

Mia Farrow and Woody Allen named their only biological child Satchel, after the National Baseball Hall of Fame pitcher Satchel Paige, before their son adopted his middle name “Ronan” and went on to achieve Pulitzer fame.……

The other day I met a Kerrile (Carol)
I had a PRN therapist therapist Named Khrystyna. I thought that was pretentious until she told me she's native-born Ukrainian and that's the proper spelling in Ukraine.

She said she would be unavailable in June, as she's traveling to Ukraine with her family. I replied I hoped the war was over by then and Ukraine was free, and ended my text with Slava Ukraini. She responded Heroyam Slava!

Lyrics. Afternoon. Orca. Alchemy.

No, these aren’t the names of some hippy pop-up café in Brooklyn, or brands for feminine hygiene products.

Instead, they’re the real monikers that influencers are giving to their children – and the internet has a lot of thoughts about it.

On social media platforms like TikTok and Instagram, where influencers share carefully curated glimpses of their family lives, a new favourite hobby has emerged: unpacking, celebrating, and oftentimes critiquing the unusual names influencers give their babies.

Last week, Too Hot To Handle star and internet personality Francesca Farago revealed to fans the potential names that she and her fiancé, Jesse Sullivan, have picked for their soon-to-be baby.

“I have been waiting to do the ‘baby names I love but won’t be using trend’ for two years now,” Farago said in a TikTok video with over 14m views. “So I wanted to make a video and talk about baby names I love. You guys can know my naming style and maybe someone will give a suggestion and that’ll be our new top favourite name.”

The names that followed, however, weren’t your average Jacks, Ashleys, Olivias, or Liams. They were nouns and adjectives ending in “-y” like Lovely and Baby, the 12 months of the year (full name “November,” nickname “Novi”), and days of the week like Sunday and Monday – though those were deemed a little bit too popular for Farago’s taste…….

“For reference, our kids have pretty unique names. My daughter’s name is Rumble Honey Smith and my son’s name is Slim Easy Smith,” Nara said back in December. In April, when they welcomed their third child, a girl, the parents opted for the name Whimsy Lou.

Were names always this bizarre? Surely, unique monikers have always existed. How can we forget the uproar over Gwyneth Paltrow and Chris Martin naming their daughter Apple, or the names of Elon Musk and Grimes’ three children – X Æ A-12, Exa Dark Sideræl, and Techno Mechanicus?

Mia Farrow and Woody Allen named their only biological child Satchel, after the National Baseball Hall of Fame pitcher Satchel Paige, before their son adopted his middle name “Ronan” and went on to achieve Pulitzer fame.……

I think we mentioned earlier in this thread the names Frank Zappa gave to his children--Ahmet, Moon Unit, Diva, and Dweezil. It's okay when Zappa does it because we'd expect nothing different :hihi:

Ahmet hated his name the most of the siblings because he said the other kids called him Ahmet vomit.

I think we mentioned earlier in this thread the names Frank Zappa gave to his children--Ahmet, Moon Unit, Diva, and Dweezil. It's okay when Zappa does it because we'd expect nothing different :hihi:

Ahmet hated his name the most of the siblings because he said the other kids called him Ahmet vomit.
Ahmet seems to be the most normal of those names

Just sounds like a middle eastern name

Trivia: Dweezil's birth name was Ian because the nurse refused to name him Dweezil and fought with them until Frank just gave a "normal" name. They called him Dweezil anyway. When he found out it wasn't his real name, Dweezil demanded his name be legally changed because he didn't want to be the only sibling with a "normal" name.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Twitter

Back
    Top Bottom