Plex hack (1 Viewer)

J-Donk

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Plex got hacked way back in 2022. My account was breached 2 days ago. My password was a common one I've used for other things, and could have easily been found via other publicly known hacked information. I had to reset via the email notification of my email/username change. I just happened to notice my username was different when watching a movie. I made this thread as a FYI to change your account password if you haven't since the breach.

Also update your media server, that's how lastpass got hacked. An engineer was running an out of date plex media server.

Plex got hacked way back in 2022. My account was breached 2 days ago. My password was a common one I've used for other things, and could have easily been found via other publicly known hacked information. I had to reset via the email notification of my email/username change. I just happened to notice my username was different when watching a movie. I made this thread as a FYI to change your account password if you haven't since the breach.

Also update your media server, that's how lastpass got hacked. An engineer was running an out of date plex media server.

1. You should always avoid using the same password twice. On Windows, I use KeePass to manage all my passwords locally. I save the encrypted database file containing the passwords to Dropbox so it syncs with my other devices, which allows me to access/update the database from multiple devices. All my passwords are random. I don't need to memorize them or know what they are. The only password I need to remember is the master password to access the database. If I forget a password, I just reset it from the affected website.

2. Use multi-factor (two-factor) wherever you can. Assuming you re-used your password and it was compromised, the attacker would still need access to your mobile device or hardware key to access your account.

3. This isn't the first time Plex was breached. You can use the site Have I Been Pwned to see if your email address was associated with other breaches in the past. The site is owned by Troy Hunt, a respected security professional. Your email search queries are not logged.

Not sure if you guys are aware...all 4 seasons of the original Transformers animated series are available on Plex On Demand...unless I'm the only retro need here

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom