PC upgrade help (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
I have a PC, couple years old. I know I need to upgrade the HD. Probably wouldn't hurt to do a new video card also.

First, how do I know how many ports my current HD is using? Like do I need to just get another 500 G SSD and stick it in there, or would I need to replace what's there with 1 TB? I'm guessing I only have one because all I have is a C:, but I don't know if that means there's a second port I can just stick another HD onto. How do I figure out what ports are open? And are they all pretty much standard ports, or do I need to find out what type of port mine supports?

Same with a video card. Are they all standard ports and if I find one I like at a good price, it should just replace? Or would I need to make sure it's the right port?

I just don't want to buy a bunch of stuff then find out that they don't fit.

This is what I currently have.

Thanks in advance.

You can get an SSD of just about any size and plug it in with a sata cable, you probably have, at least, three ports on the motherboard.

The only things that you should have to worry about when replacing a video card are if the new card fits in the case and power draw. The new cards are thirsty.

Use "start a new build" on this site and enter your parts. It'll show compatibility so that you don't buy the wrong thing and it tells you how much power what you have might draw. Changing the power supply isn't difficult, but it's an added expense for some upgrades.

without knowing your use case, I'd say the biggest performance uplift you would see would be to get a 5800x3d processor. I think the B450 motherboard is compatible with that cpu (you would need to update your motherboard bios however). To make sure, you would probably need to contact skytech and ask them what motherboard you have, and if they can provide a link to the bios. Or if you can get the exact motherboard make and model, you could also get it from the motherboard manufacturer

Amazon product ASIN B08QB93S6R

2TB FOR $120 or 1TB for $60. Both plug right in. What resolution do you use for gaming? The 2060 doesn't totally suck, my wife still uses one. 5800X3D would definitely be an upgrade if it works in your board. I would upgrade PSU before upgrading video card. 80 plus white is not even really an efficiency standard.

Last edited:
Probably wouldn't hurt to do a new video card also.
Would hurt you wallet if you don't really need it and if you go RTX 40xx ,you'll need another PSU and probably a bigger case

How do I figure out what ports are open? And are they all pretty much standard ports, or do I need to find out what type of port mine supports?
Not sure if i understand this very well ,but for HDD /SSD ,ports are SATA data on the motherboard (you have 6 of them in theory ,5+1 used by your actual SSD) and SATA power from the PSU. Can go nvme2 M.2. for the SSD too

Same with a video card. Are they all standard ports and if I find one I like at a good price, it should just replace? Or would I need to make sure it's the right port?
PCIE on the MB ,you should have 2-3 of them+2 (6+2) pins cables ,you should have 2
. Must look at the length of the card and the space of you case ,if you decide to buy a new GPU. Power consuption too.

Dont know if this is helping or not

I have a 256GB solid state drive that I want to upgrade to 1TB. How would you go about moving what's on the current drive to the new drive?

I have a 256GB solid state drive that I want to upgrade to 1TB. How would you go about moving what's on the current drive to the new drive?
Most of those larger hard drives have an application/tool to backup the data and populate on your new hard-drive. It will be advertised on the box or page info screen. If not a SATA to USB cable is your best friend and always comes in handy.

IMG_1242.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom