Most Wins Since 2000 (1 Viewer)

True, but personally, I feel like we left too much meat on the bone by our own doing. The Minny Miracle. Beastquake. The let down in in SF. The other elimination against Minny. We had chances to win it all. The disgusting “no call” goes without saying (not by our own doing). With all things considered, it was a great run. As a fan, it kinda makes you wonder when you will get to experience that again

Yup, with CSP I always had hope, felt we always had a chance against any team.....not with this regime.....as soon as you want to believe? They play a decent team and get beat.....

I hope we get that experience again but I have my doubts.....

I remember the lean years. The very lean years i.e. the "oh my God, they are horrible Bobby Hebert, Jim Everett, Heath Shuler" years.

I've said it before and will say it again: The best thing that ever happened to the Saints and the fan base is winning the Super Bowl. The worst thing that ever happened to the Saints and the fan base is winning the Super Bowl.

The opposite of great is good.

The Saints were bad. Then good. Then great! Then back down to good and now back to mediocre.

I remember the lean years. The very lean years i.e. the "oh my God, they are horrible Bobby Hebert, Jim Everett, Heath Shuler" years.

I've said it before and will say it again: The best thing that ever happened to the Saints and the fan base is winning the Super Bowl. The worst thing that ever happened to the Saints and the fan base is winning the Super Bowl.

The opposite of great is good.

The Saints were bad. Then good. Then great! Then back down to good and now back to mediocre.
I don’t see a downside in raised expectations.

I don’t see a downside in raised expectations.
I agree 100%.

I've just seen over the years that Saints fans were much forgiving for bad to mediocre seasons before the Super Bowl. Myself included. We used to feel good about an 8-8 season. We would justify it. Now? Not so much. Raised expectations. The problem is the expectation doesn't lie with the fans. The players and coaches have to want it. I don't get that from DA like we did with Payton.

8-9, 9-8 is pure hell. I'd rather they go 12-5 or 5-12.

True, but personally, I feel like we left too much meat on the bone by our own doing. The Minny Miracle. Beastquake. The let down in in SF. The other elimination against Minny. We had chances to win it all. The disgusting “no call” goes without saying (not by our own doing). With all things considered, it was a great run. As a fan, it kinda makes you wonder when you will get to experience that again
We used up all our luck in 09.
2011 we went 8-0 at home and somehow ended up as a 13-3 team without a bye/ home divisional game (we lose the one in SF)
2017 was Minny Miracle
2018 no comment
2019 Another 13-3 team without a bye. Lose in OT in the wild card round. They just looked tired in that game. Loss in OT seemed inevitable.
2020 This one stings the most for me after 2018. First 2 seed ever without a bye due to rule change. There is probably no team in history that needed that bye more than us. We win the wild card vs the crappy Bears, but Brees and Mike Thomas both die in the Bucs game. The ripple effect of this game is crazy. Until that game Brees basically owned Brady. The Bucs were just a 2nd place NFC south team and there was no serious talk of Super Bowl #7 for Brady. There would be no cementing of Brady's GOAT status that year if he didn't win a SB without Belichick, and never proved he could beat "that other QB from the NFC."
The Saints defense was insane that year and was perfect for Lambeau the following week. Ugh

All that said, imagine being the Vikings or God forbid 28-3. I think we basically sold our soul for that one in 2009.

I agree 100%.

I've just seen over the years that Saints fans were much forgiving for bad to mediocre seasons before the Super Bowl. Myself included. We used to feel good about an 8-8 season. We would justify it. Now? Not so much. Raised expectations. The problem is the expectation doesn't lie with the fans. The players and coaches have to want it. I don't get that from DA like we did with Payton.

8-9 or 9-8 would be palatable if we ever made the playoffs with those records. But I would bet dollars to donuts that the Saints have been the "first team out" more than anyone else, dating back to the Haslett era meltdowns.

No playoffs, and the #15 pick in the draft :rolleyes:

I agree 100%.

Truth!!!!

These 9-8 years are useless, they get us just outside of the top 10 but keep us just high enough in the draft to hold out some hope. They keep ownership happy because the organization can say we are close and still sell tickets. It's the easiest way to stay mediocre and never build a consistent winner.

Have a few of those really bad 5-12 seasons would suck, no doubt. However, it gives you time to right some wrongs, fix your cap, hopefully top 5 picks, etc. It gives you a legit shot to reboot. Does it always work, absolutely not. But, being in contention for one of the worst divisions in history going 9-8 gives too many people a false sense of security and is embarrassing.

I hope we never go 5-12, but if we are not going to make the playoffs and we are going to have a losing season because we are not a competently coached team. At that point I hope the wheels fall off and it forces some tough decisions while giving us an other high draft pick.

2011 we went 8-0 at home and somehow ended up as a 13-3 team without a bye/ home divisional game (we lose the one in SF)
2017 was Minny Miracle
2018 no comment
2019 Another 13-3 team without a bye. Lose in OT in the wild card round. They just looked tired in that game. Loss in OT seemed inevitable.
2020 This one stings the most for me after 2018. First 2 seed ever without a bye due to rule change. There is probably no team in history that needed that bye more than us. We win the wild card vs the crappy Bears, but Brees and Mike Thomas both die in the Bucs game. The ripple effect of this game is crazy. Until that game Brees basically owned Brady. The Bucs were just a 2nd place NFC south team and there was no serious talk of Super Bowl #7 for Brady. There would be no cementing of Brady's GOAT status that year if he didn't win a SB without Belichick, and never proved he could beat "that other QB from the NFC."
The Saints defense was insane that year and was perfect for Lambeau the following week. Ugh

All that said, imagine being the Vikings or God forbid 28-3. I think we basically sold our soul for that one in 2009.
1715269579727.gif

2017 was Minny Miracle
2018 no comment

I keep saying this, but it’s soooo hard to win a championship in the NFL.
As great as the 80s Bears were, only 1 title.
Grant’s Vikings? None.
The Manning Colts? Just one.
The Eagles have the same amount of Super Bowls as the Saints.

Truth!!!!

These 9-8 years are useless, they get us just outside of the top 10 but keep us just high enough in the draft to hold out some hope. They keep ownership happy because the organization can say we are close and still sell tickets. It's the easiest way to stay mediocre and never build a consistent winner.

Have a few of those really bad 5-12 seasons would suck, no doubt. However, it gives you time to right some wrongs, fix your cap, hopefully top 5 picks, etc. It gives you a legit shot to reboot. Does it always work, absolutely not. But, being in contention for one of the worst divisions in history going 9-8 gives too many people a false sense of security and is embarrassing.

I hope we never go 5-12, but if we are not going to make the playoffs and we are going to have a losing season because we are not a competently coached team. At that point I hope the wheels fall off and it forces some tough decisions while giving us an other high draft pick.
The only thing a 9-8 record does is it make the overall record look bad.

Grant’s Vikings? None.

Yea it's simple math and its funny how people overlook it.

Winning 1 Super Bowl in 32 years is the baseline. There are 32 teams, only 1 team wins a year.

May the best team win? Well there was only one year (2018) where we were the best team, record-wise. In 2009 we were 6 pt Super Bowl underdogs and deservedly so. We lost 2 games that year that we were trying to win. Colts were 14-0 that year and rested starters for their 2 losses, and would be in the conversation for greatest team ever had they won.

2010 and 2011, and 2017 were rough for different reasons, but you're supposed to lose on the road in the playoffs, no matter how dramatically. 2018-2020 are extra disappointing because we lost at home and thus didn't get as far as we were supposed to.

Grant’s Vikings? None.

Yup, a lot of folks really don't understand this.....in many cases, lots of luck is involved as well.....

The Saints under Loomis have been very good at not stinking. If 7-9 is the worst you get then it follows you'll be in the top 7 out of 32.

But it seems to show that we're trying hard to be safe and mediocre instead of gambling for extreme success. Many teams that have had more playoff success than us are behind us in this list because they gambled and won big sometimes and lost sometimes.

I mean those 24 years include one Super Bowl Win and 3 NFC Championship Game appearances so it's not like it was all hollow regular season wins. And it took the worst call of all time to keep us out of another Super Bowl, a terrible defensive call to keep us out of another NFC Championship game, and a miracle last play of a game to stop another possible deep run.

The team is mediocre right now, but that doesn't mean it was that way for the last 24 years and it doesn't mean it will stay that way. Many in our fanbase just can't seem to wrap their head around the idea that it makes sense to stay middle of the road until you get a franchise QB and can go for it as a contender again. Many want to tear it all down because they hate mediocre, but if you do that you risk being terrible for the next 15 or 20 years and as an "old head", I assure you mediocre is much better than terrible. Plus if you stay mediocre you can make a much faster transition to good once you do have a franchise QB. And as has been shown over and over again, taking a QB in the top 10 or even top 5 of the draft is no guarantee that you got a franchise QB.

Last edited:
I mean those 24 years include one Super Bowl Win and 3 NFC Championship Game appearances so it's not like it was all hollow regular season wins. And it took the worst call of all time to keep us out of another Super Bowl, a terrible defensive call to keep us out of another NFC Championship game, and a miracle last play of a game to stop another possible deep run.

The team is mediocre right now, but that doesn't mean it was that way for the last 24 years and it doesn't mean it will stay that way. Many in our fanbase just can't seem to wrap their head around the idea that it makes sense to stay middle of the road until you get a franchise QB and can go for it as a contender again. Many want to tear it all down because they hate mediocre, but if you do that you risk being terrible for the next 15 or 20 years and as an "old head", I assure you mediocre is much better than terrible. Plus if you stay mediocre you can make a much faster transition to good once you do have a franchise QB. And as has been shown over and over again, taking a QB in the top 10 or even top 5 of the draft is no guarantee that you got a franchise QB.
But finding that elusive franchise QB can take years upon years. The Saints had to wait 39 years before Drew Brees happened upon the Saints. You and I are the same age. I can't wait until the age of 91 for another Drew Brees to show up.

Grant’s Vikings? None.
Agreed.

And that's why it's so maddening that the Patriots won six in such a short amount of time. The Chiefs have three in a short span as well. The Ravens won two in their short life. And the Buccaneers with their two just drive me insane.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Twitter

Back
    Top Bottom