MGM Sphere concert venue opened in Vegas last night (1 Viewer)

i think id have to agree with one of the previous TikTockers comments- "how can you go back" - assuming they were speaking about concert viewing in sphere vs arena/open stadium.

I think you have to view it as a "one time experience" so as no to expect it to be the norm. The visuals you posted ( and @itztime ) are just stunning.

There are also 168,000 speakers in there - my friends that went said the audio is equally compelling. I watched a couple of the shows streaming (4K) this weekend and it was basically mindblowing. I definitely had the thought that this is such a step forward that it's hard to go back - though I think you'd just as quickly forget that when you're going to your next live show at some other venue. But it was just incredible.

I do think that Phish is a somewhat unique act. They just did four shows, each with two 75 minute sets and roughly 20 to 30 minute encore - and each show was entirely unique, no songs were repeated and every song had its own complete visual package (U2 had the same show every night). The amount of work and creative output it took to make what Phish did is remarkable - and for many years now, Phish have been at the very forefront of concert visuals and sound perfecting; Phish have always been able to multi-night performances without any repeats. They were perfect to demonstrate the full possibilities of the Sphere.

I'm sure there are a handful of other acts that come with a similar approach and capability. But I'm skeptical that they can pull it off in such a stunning fashion . . . though I'll happily tip my cap if they do.

Last edited:
There are also 168,000 speakers in there - my friends that went said the audio is equally compelling. I watched a couple of the shows streaming (4K) this weekend and it was basically mindblowing. I definitely had the thought that this is such a step forward that it's hard to go back - though I think you'd just as quickly forget that when you're going to your next live show at some other venue. But it was just incredible.

I do think that Phish is a somewhat unique act. They just did four shows, each with two 75 minute sets and roughly 20 to 30 minute encore - and each show was entirely unique, no songs were repeated and every song had its own complete visual package (U2 had the same show every night). The amount of work and creative output it took to make what Phish did is remarkable - and for many years now, Phish have been at the very forefront of concert visuals and sound perfecting; Phish have always been able to multi-night performances without any repeats. They were perfect to demonstrate the full possibilities of the Sphere.

I'm sure there are a handful of other acts that come with a similar approach and capability. But I'm skeptical that they can pull it off in such a stunning fashion . . . though I'll happily tip my cap if they do.

I will say, having seen U2 at the sphere and watched most of the phish streams this weekend, seeing it streamed really doesn't do it justice. It's cool but it doesn't really give the full sense of how immersive it is. It's pretty mind blowing up close.

I will say, having seen U2 at the sphere and watched most of the phish streams this weekend, seeing it streamed really doesn't do it justice. It's cool but it doesn't really give the full sense of how immersive it is. It's pretty mind blowing up close.

Don’t doubt that for a second. But settling for the next best thing was still pretty jaw dropping

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom