Intermediate range rifle (1 Viewer)

xardoz

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
I am going to hit up this board on advice for an intermediate range rifle. Something to shoulder for 600-1200 yards.
I friend of mine who is a free-lance writer for some outdoor/shooting magazines recommended a Ruger M77 in 6.5 Creedmore, and that is what I am leaning toward. I am not really wanting to spend $3k on a Dakota or a Cooper unless I really feel like I have to, as I am not made of money. ( I need to keep an eye on the Benji's since I will be dropping ~$2k on optics.)

any opinions/advice?

Thanks in advance.

The Ruger M77 is always nice. I assume you are looking at precision shooting since you're saying 6.5 Creedmore. It's a barrel burner though. I personally still like the reliable .308. Look at a Tika T3 as well. Very nice rifle. The Ruger Precision is coming down in price and can be had for around $1000.

Sat. me and the wife went out shooting and zeroed in my 7mm for deer season. I run targets out at 50, 100, 150 and 200 yards. 3 rounds I'm on target at the 50 run it out to 150 ,5 shots I'm zeroed then push out to 200 and 4 shots I'm zeroed. Then I started making shots at 50, 100, 150, and 200 and recording my settings so I have zero at every 50 yards. everything locked in and then I'm start moving out further out and hit 350 and hit a wall. I actually thought the scope mount loosened up. man it was a nightmare but finally I've got all my setting outs to 500 in 50 yard increments.

Dude I got a Ruger American Predator in 6.5 CM, and that thing is a tack driver. I don't think you even need to pay for the M77. $400 for the rifle, put the rest into glass and go shoot. I use 129gr SST and they turn deer off...quickly.

I would get a tikka in 6.5 and spend the rest on glass. Most people retire the 6.5cm after 3k rounds. The 308 will give great accuracy to 5k rounds and beyond. Buy what you like or want. You should check out different manufacturers and pick the one you like best in your budget.

As an update to this thread, I went for the Ruger Hawkeye Long Range Target. Great shooter, a little on the heavy side.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom