GPU - Dual Monitor Issue (1 Viewer)

FullMonte

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Quick background: Last summer, I purchased a new desktop pc. In November, I replaced the two 22" monitors I had with two 27" curved gaming monitors. The original monitors were connected using an HDMI-DVI cable on one, and a DisplayPort-DVI on the other. The two new monitors were connected with Displayport-DisplayPort cables.

In December, I started having issues with random shutdowns and restarts. It got so bad that in a 3 hour (or so) session of using the computer, I would experience 3 or 4 shutdowns/restarts. I contacted the manufacturer and sent it in for warranty repair in January. They had it for a week or two, and when I got it back, the paperwork said "Reloading BIOS can fix the problem."

It worked fine for a couple of months, and then in April or so, it started again. In early May, I began tracking the restarts. Over a 9 day period, I experienced 47 restarts/shutdowns. Also, each time it restarted, I opened the event viewer, and took a snip of the message showing that an unexpected shutdown occurred, and put those 40+ images along with a spreadsheet showing the times of each restart. Again, I contacted the manufacturer and sent it back in for warranty service again. After a week or so, I was contacted by the repair center, who told me that they were not experiencing the issue, so they weren't sure what to do. They asked if I could tell them what I was doing when the restarts occurred, and I explained that it happened often, and there was no common denominator with regard to what I was doing on the computer, what software was running, etc. A few days later, they told me they were returning the system to me. I should get it back in a couple of days.

Today, I was talking about the issue with a co-worker, and as I was talking about it, I realized that the problem began about a month after I got the new monitors, and around the time the problem started, I noticed something about the way the system was operating.

I've had dual monitors (at home and at work) for a while, and these two new monitors were doing something that I've never seen before, and my co-worker had never heard of either.

Let's take a scenario where I have my toolbar on my left monitor, as well as a google chrome window browsing Saintsreport; on my right monitor I have a good chrome window open playing a video on youtube. In every other occasion where I have two monitors, if I were to turn off my left monitor, my right monitor would continue to display the youtube video, and I would be able to drag my mouse cursor over to my left monitor, even though it was turned off. With the new configuration, it works differently. If I turn off my left monitor, my right monitor will begin displaying my tool bar, as well as the google chrome window browsing Saintsreport and the chrome windows playing the youtube video. If I turn my left monitor back on, the toolbar and Saintsreport window will move back to that monitor. In short, if I turn off either monitor, my computer acts as if there is only one monitor connected. Everything is displayed on that one monitor, and I can't drag the mouse cursor off of that monitor.

Has anyone ever seen that type of behavior from a dual monitor system? I'm wondering if the issue with my restarts might be related to an issue with the GPU, and the action of the two monitors might be a symptom of that same issue. If so, that might explain why the repair center never experienced the problem.

If you turn a monitor off, your computer should stop detecting it, and the other monitor should become the primary monitor. In the current version of Windows, it should remember your "profiles" so when you turn the monitor back on, it should revert to where it was.

That said, I use a laptop with multiple monitors and docking stations in multiple locations. I move around quite a bit, and Windows will get confused about monitor orientations, resolutions, etc, and it can take a few reboots to get it back to where I want it to be. The world is an imperfect place.

If you turn a monitor off, your computer should stop detecting it, and the other monitor should become the primary monitor. In the current version of Windows, it should remember your "profiles" so when you turn the monitor back on, it should revert to where it was.

That said, I use a laptop with multiple monitors and docking stations in multiple locations. I move around quite a bit, and Windows will get confused about monitor orientations, resolutions, etc, and it can take a few reboots to get it back to where I want it to be. The world is an imperfect place.
I've never seen it do that before, but this is the only system I've had with dual monitors and Windows 11. I assumed, when I first noticed it doing that, that it was just a feature of either Windows 11 or due to using Displayport-Displayport cables.

The only reason I brought it up here is because the issue with restarts/crashes started right around the time I got the two new monitors.

So, after all of that, I THINK I have it figured out. I got the computer back from the repair center who told me they were unable to duplicate the problem. But, it was clear that they either replaced the SSD or that they did a factory reset (That's what I assume they did). I connected everything turned it on, and went through the steps of setting up a new installation of Windows 11. This was on a Thursday. I used it for a couple of hours on Thursday and a couple of hours of Friday, and everything seemed fine. I installed all of my software (Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite CS6, Autodesk Fusion360, Google Chrome, a few 3d printer slicers, and a C compiler for programming microcontrollers).

Saturday morning, I turned it on, and when it got to the Asus Republic of Gamers screen, it hung. I attempted to restart a few times, and eventually got to the Windows discovered a problem screen. I did a factory reset, and went through all of the steps again. This time, when I was installing my software, I noticed that a couple of titles gave me an error that a particular driver/dll was blocked from loading, and I clicked "ignore." I remembered getting that error when I was installing my software the first time. After getting all of the software installed, I restarted the computer, and again it hung at the ROG screen.

I googled the error message I was getting about those drivers, and the suggested fix was to turn off the Memory Integrity setting in the Windows security. I did another factory reset, and once Windows was installed, I turned off Memory Integrity. I installed all of my software, and it has been working fine for the past few weeks. The event viewer shows one unexpected shut down, but I don't remember it happening. It's entirely possible that occurred due to a power outage.

I dug a little deeper, and apparently there is an issue with some drivers flagging as expired or invalid with Windows 11, and memory integrity blocking their installation. This is leading to unexplained blue screens, crashes, restarts, and inability to boot.

So, after all of that, I THINK I have it figured out. I got the computer back from the repair center who told me they were unable to duplicate the problem. But, it was clear that they either replaced the SSD or that they did a factory reset (That's what I assume they did). I connected everything turned it on, and went through the steps of setting up a new installation of Windows 11. This was on a Thursday. I used it for a couple of hours on Thursday and a couple of hours of Friday, and everything seemed fine. I installed all of my software (Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite CS6, Autodesk Fusion360, Google Chrome, a few 3d printer slicers, and a C compiler for programming microcontrollers).

Saturday morning, I turned it on, and when it got to the Asus Republic of Gamers screen, it hung. I attempted to restart a few times, and eventually got to the Windows discovered a problem screen. I did a factory reset, and went through all of the steps again. This time, when I was installing my software, I noticed that a couple of titles gave me an error that a particular driver/dll was blocked from loading, and I clicked "ignore." I remembered getting that error when I was installing my software the first time. After getting all of the software installed, I restarted the computer, and again it hung at the ROG screen.

I googled the error message I was getting about those drivers, and the suggested fix was to turn off the Memory Integrity setting in the Windows security. I did another factory reset, and once Windows was installed, I turned off Memory Integrity. I installed all of my software, and it has been working fine for the past few weeks. The event viewer shows one unexpected shut down, but I don't remember it happening. It's entirely possible that occurred due to a power outage.

I dug a little deeper, and apparently there is an issue with some drivers flagging as expired or invalid with Windows 11, and memory integrity blocking their installation. This is leading to unexplained blue screens, crashes, restarts, and inability to boot.
Interesting.
Glad you got it figured out.

And bonus, now you can use slutty memory!!

I’ve been having this same issue lately with a new system and my multiple docking stations and monitor configurations in different locations. It sucks. Had to get an admin to update drivers and BIOS the other day to fix it.

I’ve been having this same issue lately with a new system and my multiple docking stations and monitor configurations in different locations. It sucks. Had to get an admin to update drivers and BIOS the other day to fix it.
That what I had to do but it worked.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom