Francis Scott Key Bridge collapse in Baltimore... (2 Viewers)

Slow ahead is an appropriate speed for where the vessel was in its departure. At sea speed, that ship probably makes 20 knots. At dead slow ahead, she would lose maneuverability.
Yeah, I figure you'd need enough speed to maneuver the ship through fairly strong currents.

So, they have made a small canal for emergency ships and small commercial vessels to travel through but nothing near cargo ships nor cruise ships as of yet. Divers cannot see a foot in front of them in the water as it is so murky. The clean up project is now going to take months instead of weeks.

With regards to a new bridge, it will be three to five years before a new bridge is rebuilt, regardless of funds being thrown at it. As stated, they are having to cut the bridge in pieces and that is just the parts of the bridge they can see. Underwater is a whole different nightmare.......

In the moments before the cargo ship Dali rammed into the Francis Scott Key Bridge and sent it crumbling into the water, a flurry of urgent warnings crackled over radios and enabled police to block traffic from getting on the span, likely saving lives.

But those warnings seemingly didn’t reach the six construction workers who were killed in last week’s collapse of the Baltimore bridge. Their deaths have raised questions about whether the construction company took proper precautions, including keeping a safety boat nearby that might have been able to warn them at least a few seconds before impact.

Federal regulations require construction companies to keep such boats, commonly known as skiffs, on hand whenever crews are working over waterways, safety experts told The Associated Press. There is no indication that the construction company, Brawner Builders, had a rescue boat on the water or ready to be launched as the bridge fell.

“If you’re working over a bridge like that, the standard interpretation doesn’t give you an option,” said Janine McCartney, a safety engineer for HHC Safety Engineering Services Inc. “The skiff is required, period.”

Coast Guard representatives and other officials said they were unaware of any Brawner boat in the water at the time of the March 26 collapse. And satellite images from around the time of the collapse appeared to show no skiff in the river near the bridge…….

A second temporary channel has now been opened in the waters around the wreckage of the Francis Scott Key Bridge in Baltimore, to get trade and movement of goods in and out of the port back up and running.

The first temporary shipping route opened on Monday, with Captain David O’Connell describing it as “an important first step along the road to reopening the port of Baltimore”.

Officials said the second route for deeper vessels launched on Tuesday, with a third channel for larger vessels planned for the coming days.

New underwater images were released by the US Navy on Tuesday, capturing the wreckage deep in the Patapsco River.

This comes as the Dali ship’s owners have denied all responsibility for the deadly crash and seek a cap of $43.7m for any lawsuit payouts.

In a court filing, the ship’s owner Grace Ocean Private Limited and operator Synergy Marine PTE denied fault or neglect over the collapse that killed six construction workers: “[It] was not due to any fault, neglect, or want of care on the part of [ship owner & operator], the Vessel, or any persons or entities for whose acts [ship owner & operator] may be responsible.”............

1712154299829.png

A second temporary channel has now been opened in the waters around the wreckage of the Francis Scott Key Bridge in Baltimore, to get trade and movement of goods in and out of the port back up and running.

The first temporary shipping route opened on Monday, with Captain David O’Connell describing it as “an important first step along the road to reopening the port of Baltimore”.

Officials said the second route for deeper vessels launched on Tuesday, with a third channel for larger vessels planned for the coming days.

New underwater images were released by the US Navy on Tuesday, capturing the wreckage deep in the Patapsco River.

This comes as the Dali ship’s owners have denied all responsibility for the deadly crash and seek a cap of $43.7m for any lawsuit payouts.

In a court filing, the ship’s owner Grace Ocean Private Limited and operator Synergy Marine PTE denied fault or neglect over the collapse that killed six construction workers: “[It] was not due to any fault, neglect, or want of care on the part of [ship owner & operator], the Vessel, or any persons or entities for whose acts [ship owner & operator] may be responsible.”............

1712154299829.png
Those underwater images seem to show the structure to be mostly intact. I wonder if that makes it easier to be able to remove?

In the moments before the cargo ship Dali rammed into the Francis Scott Key Bridge and sent it crumbling into the water, a flurry of urgent warnings crackled over radios and enabled police to block traffic from getting on the span, likely saving lives.

But those warnings seemingly didn’t reach the six construction workers who were killed in last week’s collapse of the Baltimore bridge. Their deaths have raised questions about whether the construction company took proper precautions, including keeping a safety boat nearby that might have been able to warn them at least a few seconds before impact.

Federal regulations require construction companies to keep such boats, commonly known as skiffs, on hand whenever crews are working over waterways, safety experts told The Associated Press. There is no indication that the construction company, Brawner Builders, had a rescue boat on the water or ready to be launched as the bridge fell.

“If you’re working over a bridge like that, the standard interpretation doesn’t give you an option,” said Janine McCartney, a safety engineer for HHC Safety Engineering Services Inc. “The skiff is required, period.”

Coast Guard representatives and other officials said they were unaware of any Brawner boat in the water at the time of the March 26 collapse. And satellite images from around the time of the collapse appeared to show no skiff in the river near the bridge…….

I don't understand this at all. Maybe if they were working under the bridge or over the side of the bridge a skiff would be beneficial. But they were repairing pot holes on the road surface. I think they are just looking to blame someone for something and this was just a terrible accident.

I don't understand this at all. Maybe if they were working under the bridge or over the side of the bridge a skiff would be beneficial. But they were repairing pot holes on the road surface. I think they are just looking to blame someone for something and this was just a terrible accident.
Yeah, the autopsy is gonna tell the story imo. If they died from blunt force trauma from the bridge collapse, boats in the water makes zero difference. If they drowned, then that's a different thing, although it's quite possible that the bridge could have pulled them underwater.

In the end, it may have been that there would not have been enough time to call them to get them off the bridge in time.

Yeah, the autopsy is gonna tell the story imo. If they died from blunt force trauma from the bridge collapse, boats in the water makes zero difference. If they drowned, then that's a different thing, although it's quite possible that the bridge could have pulled them underwater.

In the end, it may have been that there would not have been enough time to call them to get them off the bridge in time.
The truth is that the bridge quite possibly may have landed on a rescue skiff. The skiff presence is designed for “man overboard ” and not the entire bridge falling into the water.

Last edited:
The truth is that the bridge quite possibly may have landed on a rescue skiff. The skiff presence is designed for “man overboard ” and not the entire bridge falling into the water.
I think the only benefit of a skiff would've been another set of eyes/ears to alert the crew of the impending allision so they could get moving off the bridge. Not sure it would've made much difference in this case.

I drive the causeway every day - they seem to do work on it once a month or so - I’ve never seen a boat in the water but now I’m wondering why not
While it’s unlikely someone’s going over the side, the odds certainly aren’t zero, having a boat in the water seems a reasonable safety feature

I drive the causeway every day - they seem to do work on it once a month or so - I’ve never seen a boat in the water but now I’m wondering why not
While it’s unlikely someone’s going over the side, the odds certainly aren’t zero, having a boat in the water seems a reasonable safety feature
Well, a boat in the water would be more for someone falling off the bridge. Not the entire bridge coming down. Agreed that the odds aren't zero tho. As someone else suggested, maybe it was possible that there was a skiff there. Idk.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom