Music First Concert you attended (1 Viewer)

Dang, I can’t beat Mozart, but I’m so old I saw Kenny Rogers and the First Edition, (he started out as psychedelic rock before he went country). Pat Paulson the comedian opened and his bit was he was running for President. I was middle school age, I think, and my older brother took me and my younger brother because he had a couple of spare tickets; it was at his college.

Later I saw Grand Funk Railroad, Yes, Kansas, Jefferson Starship, Ted Nugent, CSN&Y, Hall and Oates, roughly in that order. Probably missed a bunch, but that was a long time ago, those are the ones that were most memorable. I was a sophomore in HS when we saw Grand Funk, it was the first time somebody tried to hand me a joint. Some kid I didn’t know, because I was sitting at the end of our little group of girls. I was so shy and innocent at that time. I just said “No, thanks”. What a dweeb. :covri:

My husband went to a lot of concerts before we met, so without me he saw The Who, Sly and the Family Stone, Jethro Tull, and I want to say Rush, because that’s probably his favorite band. Also, Def Leppard and Kiss, IIRC.

I am sure I saw barroom bands since I could get/sneak in...But the first actual concert I remember going to was Peter Frampton on the President. The tickets were something like $3..Early early 80's and I remember it lasted a long time .

AC/DC 1982 at Wembley Arena, London. Only 14 years old and remember my ears ringing at school for a week afterwards. Missed seeing Bon Scott RIP by a couple of years.

I'm pretty sure that the first concert I actually bought a ticket to attend was headlined by Styx and it was their 'Grand Illusion' tour. The venue was the old Municipal Auditorium in New Orleans. The opening act was Mahogany Rush, and Frank Marino really got the crowd energized right from the start! He did a lot of Jimi Hendrix stuff. While I didn't know much about Mahogany Rush at the time, I was pretty familiar with most of the songs performed by Styx having been a fan especially from the time Tommy Shaw joined the band around the end of 1975. Though both acts were at the top of their game during their performances, the Styx set had the enhanced excitement of an elaborate visual and light show. We sat stage center about 10-12 rows back (it was festival seating back then) and it was the perfect spot to feel the full effect of the show. That may have been the best $15 I ever spent!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom