Outbackjack

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Just playing devils advocate……

This strategy actually worked with…..

Machines while Smith was starter.
Rogers while Farve was starter.
Love while Rogers was starter.

Obviously I hope it blows up in their face……

But I know several here would have been more than thrilled if we took Mahomes while Brees was still setting NFL records.

This is one of the reasons I just posted a thread about taking a shot on Joe Milton.

Can learn the System behind Carr. I honestly doubt Haener is going to be that guy. But Miltons got the kind of Physical gifts that allow a player to not have to be so perfect early on to succeed .

It’s like buying a car with a “Salvage title”. For the most part, you can’t see the reason the car has been totaled out but you know that it has. And yes, I know you can make the case that any player is only one snap away from the last snap of his career, but you can’t ignore the types of injuries he has had at the position he plays. Back to the car analogy, don’t be shocked when you try to get full coverage insurance on that car and the insurance company won’t do it. There is too much risk on their part and all they will give is basic liability.

Best case scenario for the Clowns is that he is a superstar and helps win them their first Lombardi. No one knows for sure, but I would be shocked if that happens.

The more likely scenario, just like the car that I bought with a salvage title (turned out it was a flood recovery car) when summer rolled around, the smell of mold and yuck was all you could think about when you got in that car. I will say that it looked like a brand new car, BUT the smell never went away. That’s what happens when you buy a car with a salvaged title. You have to deal with the reason it was sold as salvaged.

I get what you are saying but this is the Falcons. You can have someone waiting in the wings but you still have to develop that talent. Honestly, if they wanted another Michael Vick they should have signed Lamar Jackson when he was available. Signing Cousins and then QB in first round seems like pure incompetence. Then again, only time will tell.

But I know several here would have been more than thrilled if we took Mahomes while Brees was still setting NFL records.
Yeah that’s all well and good, but you are talking about Kirk Cousins and Michael Penix.

The one difference is that those QBs were one the back end of their tenure with the franchises.
Cousins has barely been with the Falcons for three months. With a new contract.

I don't think they like being the butt of the joke year after year so makes sense bringing in the next big thing even if you already have one. Gonna create a lot of friction in the QB room. the waiting is the hardest part of the long game but if they get the timing down they'll be the envy of the league. Not going to happen it's the falcons.

I think last year Atlanta was considered a QB away from being a good team. They have tried to remedy that with a plan A and plan B. I don’t know if it will work out but I see the vision. I don’t understand the visceral criticism. It’s a strategy much like every other team develops a strategy. Some work and some don’t, but sometimes an unorthodox approach changes the game. The real problem is drafting bad players. The problem is not when you have too many good players at the same position. It’s like us and Kool-Aid. If we evaluate DBs well then keep drafting them. Don’t stop because we have three already.

I don’t see anything wrong with the Falcons signing a slightly above average veteran QB coming off a season ending injury and also drafting a QB in the same offseason.

Cousins isn’t the long term answer at QB.
I’m thrilled that they drafted Penix b/c he wilted under heavy blitz pressure against Michigan. I don’t think he can hold up against the physicality of NFL defenses.

I’m thrilled that they drafted Penix b/c he wilted under heavy blitz pressure against Michigan. I don’t think he can hold up against the physicality of NFL defenses.
I agree. And his release is low. But lots of teams weee courting him.

That's true, but the common denominator of all of those situations is that the starter had been on that team for a long time and at the mid/tail end of their contracts. The Falcons just gave Cousins $100M guaranteed for 2 years, and he hasn't even played a down for the Falcons. But hey, not my money.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom