N/S Dirty Birds Could Move On From Cousins Sooner Than Later (1 Viewer)

Don't forget they ate Ryan's cap a couple of years ago.

The Falcons have 2 main guys at QB. An apparent starter (Kirk) and a rookie to groom. We have a starter, 2 guys that should not be on an NFL roster, and two young guys, who we are all hoping that at least 1 can become an eventual starter. Which situation looks more promising?
Honestly, all things considered, ours. And that's not to say we're in great shape at QB. Keep glazing the Falcons if yall want, I think they screwed up big time.

The Falcons have 2 main guys at QB. An apparent starter (Kirk) and a rookie to groom. We have a starter, 2 guys that should not be on an NFL roster, and two young guys, who we are all hoping that at least 1 can become an eventual starter. Which situation looks more promising?

Rattler has as good a shot at being a starting QB in the NFL as Penix and Carr is about the same as Cousins post injury and at age 36. So the QB situations are about equal. But, the advantage goes to the Saints because we haven't P'Oed off Carr before he even gets to a mini camp the way the Falcons did Cousins.

Honestly, all things considered, ours. And that's not to say we're in great shape at QB. Keep glazing the Falcons if yall want, I think they screwed up big time.
It’s not glazing. It’s being realistic without letting my hatred for the Falcons cloud my judgement. They want to win something that they never won before. Even if that means to have their QB situation in tact for the foreseeable future, with either one of those guys taking the snaps.

Rattler has as good a shot at being a starting QB in the NFL as Penix and Carr is about the same as Cousins post injury and at age 36. So the QB situations are about equal. But, the advantage goes to the Saints because we haven't P'Oed off Carr before he even gets to a mini camp the way the Falcons did Cousins.
So you admit that they are equal, but yet the route they took was “dumb”?
They have a starter and a guy who they selected to be the undisputed backup.

We have a starter and 4 guys vying to be the backup.

1715050166860.gif

So you admit that they are equal, but yet the route they took was “dumb”?
They have a starter and a guy who they selected to be the undisputed backup.

We have a starter and 4 guys vying to be the backup.

1715050166860.gif

Yes because we took Rattler in the 5th and they took Penix at #8. Plus, we didn't just guarantee Carr $100 over the next 3 years and Carr didn't just leave the Vikings because they told him they were going to draft a QB in the 1st.

If you can't tell the difference between taking a QB at #8 and a QB in the 5th round when you just committed $100 million to a 36 year-old QB, then I don't know what I can tell you.

Yes because we took Rattler in the 5th and they took Penix at #8. Plus, we didn't just guarantee Carr $100 over the next 3 years and Carr didn't just leave the Vikings because they told him they were going to draft a QB in the 1st.

If you can't tell the difference between taking a QB at #8 and a QB in the 5th round when you just committed $100 million to a 36 year-old QB, then I don't know what I can tell you.
If you can’t see that drafting a QB to groom, regardless of a round in the draft, is essentially the same (just not in terms of draft value), then I don’t know what to tell you. The team is bigger than any player. WHO cares if Kirk got his feelings hurt?!?! If he doesn’t want to compete, then maybe drafting a guy high in the draft, was indeed the best move. You think the Falcons are just going to roll the dice on an aged QB coming off a huge injury??? Did you not see what happened to Aaron Rodgers last year? Where did that leave the Jets? The Falcons got themselves a backup plan. So no, not a dumb move.

I think QB's are starting to prove that they can still be good at least until they are 40.

People say it enough that it has become a false narrative.

You've given me the motivation to research this and start a new thread and discuss it further in detail.

I think this is a myth, that guys are playing longer. Age 38 has always been the number, and IMO, outside of a very small handful of anomalies (Brady, Brees, and Favre for a minute), it has held true.

For whatever reason, these guys’ arms start sharply giving out at that age. Hell, if you go back and look at Brees’ year by year numbers, you’ll see even he became a different player as soon as he hit age 38.

Some don’t even get to 38 anymore, especially the running types.

These teams expecting guys to play into their 40s because Brady and Brees did are in for some rude awakenings.

I've spent a lot of time to research and create a new thread only to return here and see what you have correctly stated in a few short sentences. Spot on!

If you go to the new thread I've created using the statement above of Scorpius the Allfather, you'll find that the data I've provided there backs up everything you said in your above post here.

If you can’t see that drafting a QB to groom, regardless of a round in the draft, is essentially the same (just not in terms of draft value), then I don’t know what to tell you. The team is bigger than any player. WHO cares if Kirk got his feelings hurt?!?! If he doesn’t want to compete, then maybe drafting a guy high in the draft, was indeed the best move. You think the Falcons are just going to roll the dice on an aged QB coming off a huge injury??? Did you not see what happened to Aaron Rodgers last year? Where did that leave the Jets? The Falcons got themselves a backup plan. So no, not a dumb move.
I totally get what you are saying but I think (maybe 😁) what the poster was implying is that you have to consider the cost incurred when comparing the two situations.

I agree that Cousins hurt feelings are of little consequence- but when you consider that you’ve paid him a significant amount to be the starter and then made a decision that impacts his comfort level in that position - it can have negative impacts in the short term.

When you bring a high pick in at QB - with an established starter in place, you ideally want a situation where the established starter will work with and assist in the development of the new QB. I’d be surprised if Cousins is going to be keen of sharing his wealth of pro QB knowledge with Penix now. Maybe he’ll take the high road - but maybe not.

On the flip side, look at the recent comments from Carr about Rattler and the QB room - he acknowledges that he and Taysom are aging and that you need new blood in the fold to keep things moving.

Maybe Cousins would have had that mindset if the Falcons had included him in the draft plan.

But again, back to cost - Penix was taken in a spot where you are expected to play sooner than later. Rattler was taken in a spot where you can work him in and develop him over time.

On paper - it’s very similar in that you do have two young guys drafted into a team with an established vet but it feels like the context of both situations is very different.

I totally get what you are saying but I think (maybe 😁) what the poster was implying is that you have to consider the cost incurred when comparing the two situations.

I agree that Cousins hurt feelings are of little consequence- but when you consider that you’ve paid him a significant amount to be the starter and then made a decision that impacts his comfort level in that position - it can have negative impacts in the short term.

When you bring a high pick in at QB - with an established starter in place, you ideally want a situation where the established starter will work with and assist in the development of the new QB. I’d be surprised if Cousins is going to be keen of sharing his wealth of pro QB knowledge with Penix now. Maybe he’ll take the high road - but maybe not.

On the flip side, look at the recent comments from Carr about Rattler and the QB room - he acknowledges that he and Taysom are aging and that you need new blood in the fold to keep things moving.

Maybe Cousins would have had that mindset if the Falcons had included him in the draft plan.

But again, back to cost - Penix was taken in a spot where you are expected to play sooner than later. Rattler was taken in a spot where you can work him in and develop him over time.

On paper - it’s very similar in that you do have two young guys drafted into a team with an established vet but it feels like the context of both situations is very different.
I hear you, but if it is a thing regarding cost, then Kirk should feel comfortable knowing that he is etched in as the #1 bc of his contract. He needs to push his little feelings aside about another guy being selected high. It’s football and it is a business to the team. This is what teams do. They draft players for the future and those players hopefully go on to replacing someone. Thats the nature of it. Plus, QBs used to not mentor any young guy behind him bc a young buck poses a threat to “take food” off of his table. Which shouldn’t be an issue for Kirk, since he has made out like a bandit over the course of his career. From the comments in this thread, it seems like people thought the idea of drafting someone in the 1st rd was dumb. Yet selecting a QB in any other round would be fine. Which makes no sense, bc if you are drafting a QB, you typically want to draft one high. Being that those guys tend to be in the top tier. So like I said, the Falcons are thinking long term, so it’s not dumb to them, and I don’t think it’s dumb neither. There is no one team in our division that is dominating and no one’s future seems brighter than the other. So why not try and get their ducks in a row for the foreseeable future.

So like I said, the Falcons are thinking long term, so it’s not dumb to them, and I don’t think it’s dumb neither. There is no one team in our division that is dominating and no one’s future seems brighter than the other. So why not try and get their ducks in a row for the foreseeable future.
Possibly…
But if you look at the makeup of that team - young playmakers on offense, with some holes on the defensive side - you see the Cousins signing as a “win now” move. So as a GM, if you are trying to “win now”, you typically pull the coveted free agent QB and then use your draft picks to acquire players who can help that goal (to win now).

That’s why it was so shocking to the analysts when they didn’t take one of the top tier defensive prospects or an o-lineman. They used the 9th pick to take someone at the only position that cant contribute to a Kirk Cousins led team.

So I don’t think Penix is the issue. It’s that the Falcons drafted a player at a position that was not a “need” and they left several actual needs on the board to do so.

I think Penix will be a very solid to possibly great QB eventually. But the drafting of him is perplexing when everything else the Falcons were doing this offseason seemed keyed on building a team that can win now and take advantage of the incredibly soft and inconsistent NFC South.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom