Any crossbow hunters (1 Viewer)

SUGrad03

All-Pro
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone shoots fixed blades. What kind and how do they fly? Been looking at Magnus ser-razors and Sawtooth A2 single bevels. I’m on the fence about trusting mechanicals and getting pass throughs.

Wondering if anyone shoots fixed blades. What kind and how do they fly? Been looking at Magnus ser-razors and Sawtooth A2 single bevels. I’m on the fence about trusting mechanicals and getting pass throughs.
What crossbow? I shoot a killer instinct lethal 405. I shot muzzy 100 grain fixed blades out of it last season and killed 2 with them. This season I got tired of trying to sight it in with them because it blows through every target I have so I switched to a swhacker 100 grain. Ive shot muzzy for 20+ years so it was hard for me to change. I'm never going back. I shot my buck with one and my son shot his buck with one. Pretty amazing results. Mine went in through a rib and cut through 2 opposing side ribs on a pass through. My son's went vertically through a rib on the exit side on a pass through. Neither deer went more than 40 yards.

Wicked ridge invader x4; it’s only 360fps. I bought a pack of thorn crowns, they were the only thing I could get overnight from amazon. I was trying to make a weekend hunt. They may be fine but I want something cut on contact, which is why I’m asking about the fixed blades. I’ve got time to get it right for next season.

Is that swhacker fixed or mechanical? My hunting buddy shoots thorn rifts and loves them. You can’t replace the blades on those things though, they have to be sent In for service. I just want to resharpen and hunt.

Last edited:
Swhacker are mechanical but if you look at them it's impossible for them to not open if you hit the deer. Fixed blade..... muzzy would get my vote. 360 fps is plenty. Keep your shots sensible and you'll be fine. I've always said that nothing helps as much as starting with a good shot....way more important than broad head brand.

Yeah I’m hoping to keep it within 30yds. I’m new to archery, learning that hard quartering angles can be problematic for mechanicals. Something I never even thought about with the ol 30-30.

Yeah I’m hoping to keep it within 30yds. I’m new to archery, learning that hard quartering angles can be problematic for mechanicals. Something I never even thought about with the ol 30-30.
I typically have never taken hard quartering shots....just a recipe for disaster and a little patience has shown me that the deer will usually turn to give you a good broadside or a slight quarter. Not always....but usually. If I don't get that slight quarter or broadside I let them walk. That's with any weapon really. This year made deer #43 for me so my system works ok for me. When I was young I made a ton of mistakes (and still to this day make them here and there) but with age I've learned patience. If not that deer there will always be another one. There really aren't many things that feel worse than to know you made a bad shot that you feel you probably shouldn't have taken.

Never got a shot with the xbow this season, so I’ll have to wait for fall to try again. I bought the ser-razors and crown.

I did get 2 with my rifle though.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom